Barrel of Monkeys Education Internship Description
Internships with Barrel of Monkeys are designed to prepare young professionals for work in small non-profits and arts/education companies. An education internship will provide opportunities for an aspiring arts administrator or arts educator to learn some of the administrative, assessment and evaluation aspects of working for an arts education non-profit.
The Education Intern will focus largely on program evaluation, supporting the Education Department’s annual summer assessment of students’ work in various capacities.
• Assisting with our big end-of-year-event Celebration of Authors
• Transcribing stories written by elementary school students who participate in our in-school residencies and after school programs
• Assisting with organizing larger evaluation process
• Data Input and assistance analyzing results
• Observation of student engagement
• Attending in-school residencies and some other various arts education events and meetings
Applicants should have an interest in arts education and/or arts administration. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must, as well as strong attention to detail, time management skills, and the willingness to travel to schools across the city either by car or public transportation; upon need.
Please note that although much of our company’s work is in the classroom and on stage, our interns might not have direct contact with students (less programming in the summer), nor are there performance opportunities during the internship. The internship general requires 8-10 hours per week for 12-16 weeks, however we are flexible to accommodate most schedules. Internships are unpaid, but can be taken for course credit, at the school’s discretion.
Most hours will be spent at either:
• The Barrel of Monkeys Office – 4021 N Broadway 1st FL easily accessible by the Brown line (Day times Monday-Friday) Also, flexible with some task do not require you to come to the office
• CPS schools primarily on the south and west sides (locations TBD)
If you are interested in applying, please send a letter of interest and resume to Shá Norman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission: May 13, 2019 Start Date: Monday, May 28, 2019 (flexible)
“The most important thing that I learn was writing is full of magic. The best thing you will like about the barrel of monkey is having a world of imagination.”
–Daniel, Lorca Elementary